Friday, May 6, 2016

Happy 169th Birthday, Sigmund Freud! (errr... I mean 160th) #FreudianSlip











Ever heard the term 'Freudian Slip' used?

Well, you can thank the Father of Psychology, Dr. Sigmund Freud, for coining the term. 

A Freudian Slip is an unintentional mistake in speech that  that reveals what the person is thinking.



Suffice to say, I've facilitated and experienced many a freudian slip in my life... they're usually fodder for a good giggle. 

What's your favorite Freudian Slip?

I first heard of Freud in my high school psychology class and credit him for peaking my interest in the human psyche and the study of psychology and language. And, if you've spent any time with me, you've probably heard me use at least one of the words in his extensive lexicon.... cathartic, libido, anal (as in personality - you have dirty mind - Freud would be proud!) defense mechanism, telepathy...





























He was truly BRILLIANT. And, IMHO, he was right on point with his studies....

Some of my FAVORITE Freud quotes:

>> "The mind is like an iceberg, it floats with one-seventh of it's bulk above water." 

>> "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." 
As an over-imaginative woman, I find this challenging at times... But, c'est vrai!  

>>"Unexpressed emotions will never die. They are buried alive and will come forth later in uglier ways."

>>"Life isn't about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself." <<<---- my FAVORITE 


Freud's influence has infiltrated our society in many ways, one of the most stimulating (for me) is in art...  
















Having grown up in a family of artists, I recall a rather unusual piece by Francis Bacon that we had in our living room, which is why I am particularly drawn to the Three Studies of Lucian Freud, a Bacon depiction of Sigmund Freud's grandson, a close confidant of Bacon (and the most expensive artwork ever sold at an auction). Although, I do find the double entendre of the above illustration quite clever... and true. Don't you?

If I could only travel back in time 100 years... it would be a rather titillating experience to sit down to dinner with Father Freud. But, I guess I'll just have to dream...


Happy Freud Day!!! FRIDAY?!?!


Blissfully Yours,

Tatiana 



Facebook: Tatiana's Health and Wellness
Google+: Tatiana Ridley
Instagram: Tatiana Ridley
Pinterest: Tatiana Ridley
Twitter: @TatianaRidley