Monday, July 20, 2015

Nantucket Yoga Festival 2015 ... on a "Faraway Land"

I came bACK for the Nantucket Yoga Festival#OMYeah

Here's a sneak peak UNDER the festival tent... BEHIND the Buddha curtain... and INTO my experience....


Familiar faces greeted me this year at my 2nd annual #ACKYogaFest15 ~ an OMtastic festival founded by hubby and wife duo, Joann and Ted Burnham.


20 Instructors + 30 Vendors + 40 Workshops = #HealthyliciousBliss



Arriving Saturday afternoon {Sustainable Nantucket volunteer duty had called that mornI checked-in, got my nifty navy bracelet band, and a program. After mucho meditation over what session to attend... I FINALLY chose the Learn To Breathe Workshop with Max Strom

Don't you know how to breathe?! 
... you're probably thinking. Yes. BUT, I'm not always breathing CORRECTLY or to my FULL ABILITY... and I'll betcha a kombucha that YOU aren't either.


How does the way we BREATHE affect our stress level, sleep quality, relationships etc.?
Well... Max taught us that the POWER OF OUR BREATH has MANY benefits including: calmness, mental clarity, energy and more....

I always thought I knew instinctively how to breathe, until Max introduced a NEW breathing exercise. 
First, he demo'd how most of us breath, taking a deeep belly breath, puffing our bellies out 8 months preggers style... Then, he demo'd the ribcage breath, in which he focused on expanding his ribcage out to the sides, instinctively pulling his belly in. 

BIG freakin' deal!?!

Yup, it actually IS. For the first demo, Max exhaled into a white balloon and tied it up. He did the same thing for the second demo, but wouldn't cha know?! The second balloon was TWICE THE SIZE! 


Yogis of ALL ages and SPECIES attended.... including a DOG DOING DOWNWARD DOG POSE ON A DOG-SIZED YOGA MAT!!

On Sunday I crossed an item off my BUCKET LIST!!!


Aerial Yoga 

Lucky me, I snagged a spot in Michelle Dortignac's Gentle Unnata Aerial Yoga at the Dharma Yoga Barn. Excited and a wee bit worried that I may regurgitate my smoothie when I was upside down, I took a deep Max Strom breath and chose a purple "hammock" and followed Michelle's peaceful voice... 

Slowly slipping into my hammock, I stretched out into savasana and let my body be supported by the nylon fabric. {fortunately, the tightly woven nylon fabric can support up to 1000 lbs!}
Bharadvaja's Twist Pose

By the end of the 90 minute class, I felt solo weightless and zenned out that I was tempted to hide out in my lil cocoon ... 

Back at the festival tent, I went around to check out the vendors... From yoga gear to jewelry, art, accessories, food, and beauty products, here are my FAVES:

Follain ~ Gaelic for "healthy, wholesome, and sound." 


Farm to Gold Ghee ~ Oh. Em. Ghee! The Farm to Gold Ghee is off the chain... Did you know that GHEE is one of the healthiest fats?! It's popular in the ancient Indian Practice of Medicine: Ayurveda. 

Cindy Peas RoeUpsculptor Artist. You've heard of Upcycling, but have you heard of Upsculpting?

Tellus ~ Eco-Friendly & Sustainable store on Nantucket, run by my Russian girls name club, Anastassia. 


Some food for thought ...

"It is possible that the next Buddha will not take the form of an individual.
The next Buddha may take the form of a community - a community practicing understanding and loving kindness, a community practicing mindful living. This may be the most important thing we can do for the  survival of the earth."  



~ Thich Nhat Hanh


Hopefully you can join me next year... Mark your calendars for #ACKYogaFest16!!! 
Maybe I'll be speaking??


NAMASTE, Y'all ~


Blissfully Yours,



Tatiana Ridley, CHHC, AADP


Blog: HealthyliciousBliss!