Monday, December 15, 2014

Food Trend: Bone Broth is the New Black

Source
Bone Broth is the NEW black

Forget Chicken Soup For The Soul, it's ALL about Bone Broth For The Soul... 

What is it? Exactly what it sounds like. Broth made from leftover meat bones {chicken, beef etc.} that is cooked in a pot with herbs 'n' spices for up to 48 hours. 

For me, it's a welcome warm winter beverage on these fweeeezing winter days and nights we're having on the East Coast... YES, you drink it from a cup, just like a cup o' joe/hot chocolate/cider! 


Why should I drink it? Bone Broth is RICH in nutrients including: calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and collagen. The collagen is a natural gelatin that firms up broth kinda like Jell-O and keeps the connective tissues healthy. 
Might as well call it "Beauty Broth" ... ;-) Also, it aids in digestion, eases joint pain, promotes skin health, and immunity.

Want Proof? A study from the University of Nevada Medical Center demonstrates that the amino acids in bone broth can help combat colds and the flu. In my own experience, I can vouch for my maternal grandmother's recipe, that my Mom has made for me since I was wee child, sick with a cold/flu. Thanks, Grandmummy and Momasita!

Oh, and btw, this is SOOO PALEO...

New Yorkers, you can order in from Bone Deep & Harmony or go in person to Brodo {LOVE their tagline: "Good broth will resurrect the dead."} Everyone else, search #BoneBroth for sources near you... OR you can whip up a batch yourself!

And now for a lil #MusicMonday break:



"I'm all about that {broth}, that {broth}..."


So that's what I was watching on REPEAT on Thanksgiving Day. Can't. Get. It. Out. Of. My. Head. 

Blissfully Yours,

Tatiana Ridley, CHHC, AADP