Friday, July 11, 2014

#FiveonFriday: Interview with Agapi Stassinopoulos, Author, "Unbindingthe Heart: A Dose of Greek Wisdom, Generosity, and Unconditional Love"

Last month I met (and danced on stage with) one of my new mentors, a speaker at the S.H.E. Summit at the 92nd Street Y in New York City, a woman who embodies everything that I want to embody: LOVE. Her name is Agapi Stassinopoulos (Agapi means 'Unconditional Love') and she is a bestselling author and speaker who inspires audiences around the world. 


  Agapi & Me after she signed my copy of her new book!

         
In her most recent book, Unbinding the Heart: A Dose of Greek Wisdom, Generosity, and Unconditional Love, she shares her life’s adventures and experiences, and the wisdom she has gained from them, as well as the values her extraordinary mother instilled in her and her sister, Arianna Huffington

Agapi was trained in London at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts and then moved on to receive her masters in Psychology from the University of Santa Monica. Her previous books on the Greek Archetypes, Gods and Goddesses in Love and Conversations with the Goddesses, were turned into PBS specials. 

She is developing a curriculum on Heartfelt Leadership for the Wharton Business School to provide the tools to bring conscious leadership into today’s workplace, based on the principles of generosity and empathy, assisting others to live a more fulfilling life. She is currently collaborating with her sister on conducting workshops on the principles of Thrive, The Third Metric, bringing them to the corporate world. She has spoken at many companies; including Nike, Starbucks, Time Inc, Kaiser Permanente, and many others. She lives between New York and Los Angeles.

1. What is your favorite quote?


“My heart is at ease knowing that what was meant for me will never miss me, and that what misses me was never meant for me.” ~ Imam al-Shafi'i


Live life as if everything is rigged in your favor. ~ Rumi


2. What are your top favorite things in your life right now?

My protein drinks with egg whites and glycemic powder!


I love my unsweetened almond milk that stabilizes my blood sugar and helps my cravings. I can have it any time during the day, morning, afternoon, or in the evening before I go to sleep. It’s a great joy to find something that I can go to when I feel my blood sugar dropping and I don’t have to go for the muffins!


3. Who are your mentors?

My mentors are my mother who taught me to have profound trust in life.

My sister, Arianna Huffington, who teaches me every day the ability to let go and move forward into the present moment.

My spiritual teacher, John Roger, who taught me and teaches me the key to unconditionally loving myself and others.

Bruno Mars who brings his extraordinary joy, exuberance, and life through his music.

Richie Davidson, the neuroscientist who wrote, “The Emotional Life of Your Brain,” shows me how to be more mindful, compassionate, and peaceful within myself. I appreciate all his amazing work he does to bring his science into mindfulness and meditation.  


4. What is NEW + GOOD in your life?

I have recently started to facilitate workshops at companies to bring the principles and tools of Thrive and the Third Metric to employees. I love teaching people how to meditate and showing them how meditation is easy, very doable, and extremely joyful. It’s like carrying your own personal cushion in your life.


5. What advice would you give to all your fans out there?

To learn the power of leaning back so you can lean forward. Never push or make demands on yourself and life, but learn to come from a place of inner trust and connection to create the life you want, knowing that you are never alone. You never walk alone. One of my most powerful affirmations I discovered in my life was to say to myself over and over again, “God is my partner.”  


Agapi 
Stassinopoulos





Website: 
http://unbindingtheheart.com/
 





Want to get hooked up with MORE healthylicious blog updates right in yo inbox?!?! Sign-up for my bliggity blog => HERE <=



* * * EMAIL ME if there is a wellness guru that you would like me to interview! {Perhaps that's YOU?!} * * *




Blissfully Yours,

Tatiana Ridley, CHHC, AADP