BREAKING NEWS: A Heat Wave, (a prolonged period of excessive heat), is blanketing New York City! This aint your Martha and the Vandellas kinda Heat Wave though...
Here are my tips to BEAT THE HEAT and STAY COOL:
1) Stay Hydrated - On average we lose about 10 CUPS of water on a hot day, so drink at least 10 CUPS of water a day to stay hydrated.
2) Avoid Strenuous Activity - If you must exercise, do so indoors with ample air conditioning.
3) Stay Inside - Turn your AC/Fan on high and draw your shades to keep the sun's rays out.
4) Avoid Alcohol & Caffeine - These are diuretics, (substances that increase the discharge of urine), too much which can cause dehydration.
5) Wear lose-fitting, lightweight, light colored clothing AND avoid tight-fitting, dark clothing that absorb the sun's rays.
6) Eat Water-Rich Foods like watermelon, tomatoes, peaches, pineapple, strawberries and oranges to cool down.
WARNING SIGNS OF HEAT CRAMPS:
- Muscular pains & spasms that occur in the legs/abdomen
WARNING SIGNS OF HEAT EXHAUSTION:
- Heavy Sweating
- Muscle Cramps
- Paleness, Tiredness, Dizziness
WARNING SIGNS OF A HEAT STROKE:
- High body temp (above 103 degrees F, orally)
- Dizziness, Nausea, Confusion
- Red, Hot, Dry Skin
- Rapid, Strong Pulse
** Please CALL 911 if you or someone you know may be suffering from Heat Cramps, Heat Exhaustion or Heat Stroke **
Tatiana Ridley, CHHC, AADP