Miss my Wellness Workshop: January Jumpstart with Cooler Cleanse and Juice Generation at Equinox last night? Don't fret, my pet! Read on to get some of my healthylicious detox tips AND take my detox quiz to determine if you need to detox on the following Birchbox article....
I attempted a juice cleanse once, and I only made it 48 hours before I completely broke down and reached for a bowl of pasta. But in the the two days that I did manage to stay disciplined and stick to my liquid diet regimen, I noticed two positive outcomes:
1. I didn’t need any coffee to feel energized. The juices gave me a clarity and energy that I wasn’t expecting.
2. My skin was glowing. I’ve never gotten so many compliments in such a short amount of time.
Since then, I’ve been toying with the idea of seriously juicing again, but I’m nervous that I’d give up halfway through. To bolster my confidence, I stopped by Juice Generation at Equinox Greenwich for their first Wellness Workshop, especially since yesterday’s session was on detoxing with nutrition and wellness coach, Tatiana Ridley.
Long story short: I need to do a cleanse, stat. Click through to find out if you should detox, too!
Ridley handed out a quiz last night to figure out if you were in need of serious detoxing. Answer the statements below as “True/False,” and if you have 5 or more “true,” consider a cleanse.
1. I often feel tired, sluggish, or lethargic.
2. I need caffeine in order to wake up in the morning.
3. I feel bloated from too much food or the wrong kinds of food.
4. I want more energy.
5. I drink fewer than 8 glasses of water per day.
6. I tend to get sick easily.
7. I eat processed, take out and/or fast food more than 4 times a week.
8. I drink alcoholic beverages more than 3 times per week.
9. I have cravings for sugary and salty foods.
10. I reward myself with a treat after exercise.
That being said, cleanses can take a serious toll on your body since it’s flushing toxins out of your system. Ridley also gave some great tips to keep in mind before jumping on the detox bandwagon. For one, don’t start a juice-only diet without consulting a medical professional first. Also, if you’re an athlete, be aware that you should switch to a low intensity workout and stay away from strenuous exercises while you’re cleansing.
If you’d rather give juicing a test-drive before you commit, try Ridley’s favorite juice, Cooler Cleanse’s Essential Green, using the recipe below:
Handful of spinach
3 stalks of celery
Small handful of parsley
3 leaves of green kale
2 Bartlett pears, seeded
¼ lemon, peeled
½ cucumber, peeled
Instructions: Bunch up spinach, parsley and kale, and push through juicer with celery, and pear. Follow with cucumber and lemon. Scrape off the foam and serve over ice. For variation, add dandelion greens or watercress.
Dying to DETOX, but don't know where to start?Contact me to schedule a FREE Phone Consultation to learn more about my Customized Detox Program!