Thursday, December 29, 2011

Ward Off The Winter Blues With Vitamin D

My supa stylish fedora
Happy Holidays! I hope that you enjoyed your time with your family, celebrating Christmas, Hanukkah or Festivus, the holiday for the rest of us. I've been blessed to escape the cold weather in New York City to spend a week with my family in Palm Beach, Florida. Being a fair skinned lassy who burns easily, I do have to limit my time in the sun, lathering on the SPF and donning a hat. But I'm psyched to get my RDA, (Recommended Daily Allowance), from Mr. Sun, considering that I've been depending on food sources and supplements of vitamin D since the sun went into hiding. Decreased daylight hours during the winter put many people at risk for vitamin D deficiency. According to the Harvard Public Health Review, 15 minutes of sunlight exposure daily should provide enough vitamin D. 










Vitamin D is an essential micronutrient for maintaining one's health. It's a fat-soluble vitamin that is naturally present in the following foods: 





Shitake and Button Mushrooms, Almond Milk (my favorite is the Pacific Foods Almond Milk), Salmon, Eggs, Goat Milk, Herring, and Sardines.

It is also available as a dietary supplement.
If you think you're low, low, low on vitamin D, you may want to ask your doctor for a blood test. I did last spring and much to my surprise, (as a Northeast native), I had a healthy According to my teacher, Dr. Joel Furman, Americans and Canadians have low levels of vitamin D. 


Blissfully Yours,
Tatiana Ridley, CHHC, AADP