Thursday, September 22, 2011

Let Us Eat Local Event Wrap-Up... With Food, Inc. Star Photo Opp



Eat Local!
Last night, Wednesday, September 21st, I attended Just Food's 4th Annual Let Us Eat Local event at the historic Altman Building in NYC. The event raised money for the Just Food programing, including CSAs, City Farms, Community Food Education, Fresh Food For All, and Food Justice, as well as Hurricane Irene relief for area farmers. Despite the rain, it was a great turnout. AND you can still bid items like 4 VIP tix to ABC's new show, THE CHEW, (with Mario Batali, Daphene Oz, (Dr. Oz's daughter and more), and other items on the online auction ends Friday, September 23rd at 11:00PM, so go get your bid on! 


GO Green!
True to its mission, all of the cups, plates and cutlery was biodegradable! My palate had the pleasure of tasting food from 30 local farm to table restaurants, artisanal purveyors, breweries and vineyards. I made sure to eat an early lunch so that I had enough room in my belly to try everything.... 










                                                                                      
As difficult as it is to narrow down my 
faves, if I had to choose, I
would to go with the dish from The Fat Radish. Chef Nicholas Wilber served a mouthwatering root vegetable stack with date puree and vegetable crisps with salad of heirloom carrot, hijiki seaweed and crispy kale.





The cherry on top, was meeting one of my heroes, Just Food honoree, Joel Salatin, a pioneer organic farmer seen in the Academy award-nominated documentary, Food, Inc.



I went home with one of the best gift bags EVER! A super stylish burlap bag that I'm going to start rockin' as a purse/workout bag, and lot of goodies including: a Brooklyn Slate Co. cheese board, (hello cocktail parties at my place!), ZAGAT guideCrock & Jar Spicy Kraut, (perfect addition for Octoberfest), mike's Hot Honey, Fresh Bread from Orwasher's Bakery, (stay tuned for my fresh French Toast post) and MORE.... 
Have a question about eating local, finding a CSA in your 'hood etc.? Drop me a line BELOW and I'll try my best to get you an answer!

And now it's time to don my sneakers to go for a long walk through Central Park to burn off all of the delicious food that I devoured last night... 

Blissfully Yours,

Tatiana Ridley, CHHC, AADP