Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Solstice in Times Square Mind Over Matter Yoga Event 2011

Yesterday I celebrated the first official day of summer, AKA the Summer Solstice, (the looongest day of the year), at the Solstice in Times Square Mind Over Matter Yoga Event. After dutifully waiting online for two and a half hours, (practicing my yogic breaths to keep me calm and maintain my patience), I was granted access to the promise land, the little triangle of concrete on 47th street sandwiched in between Broadway and 7th Avenue. Armed with my Lucy tote bag emblazoned with the words reminding me to "Get In The Shape Of Happy," my sun-colored yoga mat and balance water, I ambled over to find a spot amongst the yogis. As luck would have it, I managed to secure a spot smack dab in the front row!


With a few minutes to spare before Douglass Stewart's yoga class kicked off, I managed to get my new friend and iron man champ, Sam Cardona, to snap a shot of me in tree pose. What do ya think?


At 6pm, seduced by the aromatic smell of sandalwood incense as I tried my best to block out the honking horns, Broadway billboards and crowds of people, I began my first yoga class in Times freakin' Square! Starting with a few Sun Salutations, (Surya Namaskar in Hindu, meaning "to adore the sun"), a way of honoring the sun and channeling it's power to your heart, it wasn't long before I found my peace. Many yogis practice 108 Sun Salutations in a group upon the change of the seasons as an offering of peace and unity. The number 108 has a spiritual significance in many cultures. 108 is 12 times the number 9, which is the number of vinyasas, (movements linked to breath), in a sun salutation. To wrap it up, we ended the class with a united Ohhhmmmmm.....


Check out the pix from the event here, including a paparazzi shot of me doing my butterfly pose, trying to find tranquility and transcendence amidst the hustle 'n' bustle of Times Square. SHOUT OUT to John DeMartini and the rest of his Times Square Alliance team for executing an ohmazing event! Thank you :)


QUESTIONS? Comment below and I'll try my best to answer 'um...


Blissfully Yours,


Tatiana Ridley, CHHC, AADP